It has been observed that most of the teenagers never share their concerns with their parents and particularly if they carry any suicidal tendency they will never tell their parents about it. They feel that their parents will be too much saddened by hearing such things. It is quite natural for parents to feel sad if they learn that their off springs are planning to end their life. They should understand on the contrary that parents are most important one with whom they must express their concern.
According to various suicide books following are few reasons why teens usually avoid their parents while they nurse the thought of committing suicide.
- Parents usually avoid listening to their child, but try to impose their thoughts on them and they do not give any assurance and encouragement. When parents tell their child that they do not have any big reason to think about suicide they get annoyed.
- Some parents become extremely sad and behave irrationally that the child has to console them and children fail to express their real problem.
- In many cases parents become too angry after hearing that their child is thinking about committing suicide. In such condition it becomes very difficult to communicate with them.
- Some parents try to blackmail their children emotionally by telling how they can do such thing when they love them so much.
- Many parents do not appreciate that suicidal tendency is a kind of behavioral problem, which is very much like depression. They end up blaming their child for everything instead of consulting any child psychologist.
- Some parents simply do not bother about it and think that their child must be kidding. On the contrary they should take their child seriously and try to console them or take them to a hospital for consultation.
- Some parents do exactly opposite of the above. They immediately rush them to some mental hospital instead of listening to them and understand their real problem.
- Some parents think that their child is under the influence of some movie or novel and think these are transitory thoughts, which will go away sooner or later. They do not think that the matter needs any serious attention.
- Some parents become too nervous and they keep on repeating the same question many times in a day which becomes quite irritating.
- Overprotective parents will try to keep their children always within their sight and thus their privacy will be lost.